Re: [Openexr-devel] Per-pixel Object Identifiers?

From: Kevin Wheatley
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Per-pixel Object Identifiers?
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:28:05 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Florian Kainz wrote:
>

>> At ILM we want to implement a workflow where a computer graphics artist
>> can bring up an OpenEXR image of, say, a scene from Rango on his or her
>> screen, point to a pixel, and be find out that the object seen at that
>> pixel is called "Beans/dress/button3."
>
> How would you deal with composited pixels which are built from several
> different objects?

we've attempted to use OID passes before and run into this exact
problem, motion blur, transparency, etc all got in the way of being
able to use simple per pixel data like this, so we're looking into a
more 'deep' pixel implementation. We've embedded only IDs and use
other 'databases' to store human meaningful data.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd |   Nobody thinks this    |
| Head of Software Engineering          | My employer for certain |

Cinesite (Europe) Ltd. Registered Office: HemelOne, Boundary Way, Hemel
Hempstead, Herts, HP2 7YU Registered in Cardiff No. 2820389 VAT No. 630 5446 60