Re: [Openexr-devel] Established deep data file extension?

From: Peter Hillman
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Established deep data file extension?
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:51:38 +1200

Not surprisingly, I agree with Richard!

Some users will want to use a different extension to indicate the file should be treated as deep. For example, regular images called .exrs load into photoshop when clicked and deep images load into exrdisplay when clicked. Or, more pertinently for us, Nuke creates DeepRead nodes or Read nodes as appropriate from a single picker.

If there's no recommended extension, or a recommendation saying "you must call all your files .exrs", those folks will invent their own regardless, and vendors will be asked to implement a whole slew of extensions for different clients.

There's little need to have different extensions for mono and stereo, since code that can handle deep should be stereo aware from the beginning, and users would use the same tool for both mono and stereo. Information about mono or stereo should be in the filename as an indication to the user as to what to do (e.g. prefix the name with L, R or S); the extension should be used as an indication to the software as to what to do.

That said, it might still be worth having an agreed standard for extensions which distinguish stereo from mono, for people who really need it, so we limit the number of extensions there too.

I'm not suggesting we should specify that all deep exrs should always have some other extension, just that we specify a single one as an optional alternative, and suggest vendors support reading and writing deep exrs which have either .exr or the agreed other extension.

Personally, I'm not too fond of the idea of "dxr" or "dexr" because it isn't distinctive enough from "exr" in verbal communication. Try saying this quickly (ideally in a dark and crowded meeting room with important clients present for true authenticity):
"Have you rendered the dxr or the exr?"
Now try this:
"Have you rendered the odz or the exr?"