Re: [Openexr-devel] Future versions: (WAS: RE: OpenEXR 1.7.1 release)

From: Christopher Horvath
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Future versions: (WAS: RE: OpenEXR 1.7.1 release)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:09:02 -0700

Hey everybody,

Wouldn't it be easier and more foolproof to have each of the libraries as part of the same package, but simply don't link against libraries that are not needed? Alembic requires only IlmBase as well, but there'd be no difficulty simply not using  libIlmImf, even if it was there.  I don't understand what the user cost of having them bundled is, but the additional overhead for keeping them in sync (even with the same version numbers) is greater than zero. For example, I frequently forget:

--with-ilmbase-prefix=/the/damn/place/i/just/built/it/to

when I'm building a new ilmbase and a new openexr version into a local dir rather than /usr/local

Even within libraries, object files that are not used don't get bound. I'm not suggesting that the separate libraries be combined into a single compiled library, just that they are part of a single tar-ball, repository, versioning & installation scheme.  This isn't much different from how IlmBase already has multiple components that must be built together:

libIex
libImath
libIlmThread

etc.

As per my previous mail, for developers who are building the libraries themselves, rather than using a package system or using precompiled libs, and don't want openexr - they could simply specify "--disable-openexr" as an autoconf option.  I'm not sure what the Xcode & Visual Studio equivalent is, but it must be doable.

Chris