Re: [Openexr-devel] boost versions

From: Larry Gritz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] boost versions
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:03:02 -0700

I'm not sure I understand people's objection to Boost, especially for the portions that are header-only.  It's solid, very well-vetted, nicely cross-platform (HW, OS, compiler), and you can be confident that it will continue being maintained for a long long time.  With high frequency, its solutions to problems are sufficiently best-of-class that they become part of the C++ standard itself, with few changes.

Now then, when I write software, I am careful to only use Boost *internally*, I never ever allow one of their types to become part of my public APIs.  The design of its packages do vary in their elegance, and I only use a subset.  I second the notion that there isn't an especially good substitute for boost::python (though I would be happier if it had been part of the Python distro itself).