Re: [Openexr-devel] iif-optimisations branch tests

From: Piotr Stanczyk
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] iif-optimisations branch tests
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:51:09 +0000

Hey Al,

Are you grabbing code from the develop branch?
There should be a input file method :

    //---------------------------------------------------------------
    // Check if SSE optimization is enabled
    //
    // Call after setFrameBuffer() to query whether optimized file decoding
    // is available - decode times will be faster if returns true
    //
    // Optimization depends on:
    //   the file type (only scanline data is supported),
    //   the framebuffer channels (RGB/RGBA mono or stereo)
    //   the framebuffer channel types (all channels half-float format only)
    //   the file channels (RGB/RGBA mono or stereo)
    //   the file channel types (all channel half-float format only)
    //   whether SSE2 instruction support was detected at compile time
    //
    // Calling isOptimizationEnabled before setFrameBuffer will throw an
exception
    //

isOptimizationEnabled

Can you run that and let me know what you are seeing?
The read times should indeed be mostly dominated by the (de)compressor
workload. However, on my machine here I saw something in the region of 10-15%
improvement.
Are you able to try this on an uncompressed file? You should see quite a
significant speed up there.

Let me know if that is not the case and we can look into this further.