Re: [Openexr-devel] Dazed and Confused with Deep Data

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Dazed and Confused with Deep Data
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:59:39 -0700

On Apr 17, 2014, at 9:41 AM, Gonzalo Garramuno wrote:

> I played with the farPlane but nothing changed.  I uploaded the deep exr
> image to:
>
> http://www.datafilehost.com/d/c18914c3
>
> Let me know if you can see the deep data with a tree shape or if the file is
> broken.

Looks like this file does indeed have a solid cube of samples.  Each pixel is
sampled the same 20 steps with evenly spaced 5 unit increments.

Seems like this renderer is behaving like it might for a volumetric fluid
render.  When rendering regular geometry, you expect a renderer to only create
a sample when a ray actually hits something, so you will only have samples
where there's geometry and they will not all be at the same Z depth.

I notice the file also has ZBack values, so there's another volumetric clue.
Geometry samples should just have a Z position and no thickness.

Brendan