Re: [Openexr-devel] EXR texture memory overhead

From: Larry Gritz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] EXR texture memory overhead
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 10:12:48 -0700

It is true that using OIIO's ImageCache to read a single file sequentially can
have wasteful memory consequences -- right after you've read the image, you
have a copy in the app's buffer that you requested, you still have a copy in
the ImageCache waiting around for the next time you need it, and you may have a
third copy of some or all of the pixels within libIlmImf's internal data
structures (if the file is still open). That's not really what ImageCache is
designed for, and I'm confident that's not how Soren is trying to use it.

Soren is dealing with a texture system within a renderer. So that waste I
described above will disappear -- as the app requests additional texture data,
what's filling the cache will be paged out, and new pixels will come in. The
cache has a fixed maximum size. Also, in the context of an OIIO TextureCache,
there is no "app buffer", the IC's tile data itself is where the texture is
directly accessed from when doing texture filtering operations.

It's clear that Soren's case is already dealing with tiled and MIP-mapped files
(right, Soren?). And if you're going to make tiles for use with ImageCache,
it's much better to use OIIO's "maketx" rather than OpenEXR's "exrmaketiled".
The maketx does a number of additional things besides just tiling, including
computing SHA-1 hashes on the file and storing that in the header, so that the
TextureSystem can automatically notice duplicate textures and not read from the
redundant files. That won't happen properly if you use exrmaketiled.

We routinely use OIIO's texture cache to render frames that reference 1-2 TB of
texture, spread over 10,000 or more files, using a maximum of 1GB tile memory
and 1000 max files open at once. Works smooth as can be. If your use of
ImageCache is resulting in "blowing up computer's RAM + swap" and the kernel
has to kill the app, either you're setting something wrong, or there is a bug
(or use case I haven't considered) that I desperately want to examine and make
better. I would love a detailed description of how to reproduce this, so I can
fix it.

All that is a red herring. What Soren is describing is a very real effect,
which is two-fold and completely independent of OIIO:

1. The amount of memory that libIlmImf holds *per open file* as overhead or
internal buffers or whatever (I haven't tracked down exactly what it is) is
much larger than what libtiff holds as overhead per open file.

2. libIlmImf seems to have a substantial amount of memory overhead *per
thread*, and that can really add up if you have a large thread pool. In
contrast, libtiff doesn't have a thread pool (for better or for worse), so
there isn't a per-thread component to its memory overhead.