openvortex-dev

[Openvortex-dev] the loop problems

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] the loop problems
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:04:27 -0500

Hi,

Perhaps we are having serialization issues in the read/write_codec
functions for the vortex?  I see in a lot of other ALSA drivers and
kernel drivers that the rmb/wmb/mb() functions are used whenever a tight
loop is going to be executed to ensure that everything is flushed out or
somesuch beforehand.

It would be used like

wb();
for (i = 0; i < bignum; i++)
        if (read_status()&0xff) break;

Seems like similar situations to the vortex drivers but maybe someone
with more experience with those functions can tell whether they are
necessary or not.

They are documented in the kernel-locking file in the kernel sources
documentation.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253