pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] pan, gtkspell, and specifying your language

From: Martin Tomasek
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] pan, gtkspell, and specifying your language
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:54:25 +0200

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:24:06PM -0700, Evan Martin wrote:
> I've had a few requests for supporting alternate languages
> and I was wondering how foreign-language users actually specify
> their language.
> If that variable is set to a language other than English, would it make
>  sense for GtkSpell to default to a language other than English, or do
> we need the applications (Pan, LogJam) to allow you to specify the
> language you're writing in?
> (I can imagine wanting to write different messages in different
> languages... but for now, what should GtkSpell default to: English?
> Your locale-provided language?)

pspell has its own defaults and settings, does it make sense to use own
defaults? if so, gtkspell should default to english and let application
decide about language. (for example newsgroups with different languages)

btw, there is a problem
with different charsets in gtkspell -- I forced it to use czech
dictionary instead of english, but it does not work, because that
dictionary uses iso-8859-2 and pan uses utf-8. feel free to contact me,
if you want to do some testing around this.

--
Martin Tomasek, address@hidden
BOFH excuse #278: