pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Pan in Fedora Extras

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Pan in Fedora Extras
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:16:49 -0700

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:14:10 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 21:46 -0600, Greg Breland wrote:
>

>> As for SMTP auth, I'm surprised anyone has needed that since I bet 90%
>> of users use their local MTA to handle mail.  Of course, I could be
>> completely wrong but I've never used anything else.
>
> Many ISP's do not allow users to use their own smtp because of spam, and
> many mail servers on the receiving end outright reject mail from an smtp
> server that looks like it is running on an end users machine (coming
> from an smtp not associated with the sender e-mail address).

Well, I know many ISPs block port 25 heading to their users' connections
in order to fight spam, but I don't see how an SMTP server would know
whether a client like Mozilla was connecting to it vs. Sendmail or Postfix...

Having looked at sniffer traces of both connections, I've not seen a
difference between Sendmail and Mozilla (for example).  That's how I
handle connecting to my ISP's authenticated SMTP server.

Jim