pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: GNKSA-ish feature suggestion -- RFC 1855 compliant warni

From: Lenroc
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: GNKSA-ish feature suggestion -- RFC 1855 compliant warning on long posts
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 09:19:47 -0700

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:34:47 -0400, Fred Fraley said:

>       I wonder if this is one of those "traditional" things that no longer
> really applies?  History:

For technological reasons, I think that is valid, but for netiquitte, I
think that a "long" tag just makes sense. For example, if I have 5 minutes
to check out some responses to a thread I started, I don't really have
time to read a long post. Most would argue that I could just skip any
message from Duncan (does he have the same reputation for... verbosity...
here as he does in other NG's?), but it would be nice to see the
"long" tag in the subject line.

> Now it seems reversed, with several
> screens of quoted repost and (I hope) one screen or less of new
> material.  If there's more that that I have to go searching for where it
> starts.

The idea behind proper bottom posting is to snip out anything that is not
directly related to the new comments. This way, there should never be
"several screens" of quoted repost before new content. In this particular
case, if someone refuses to snip, it is _almost_ better to just top post.

OTOH, Pan has that fantastic "mute quoted text" feature (default 'q'), for
those who refuse to snip... ;)

--
Lenroc