pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] question about tasks

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] question about tasks
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:03:11 -0700

On Sun 17 Aug 2003 01:11, K. Haley posted as excerpted below:
> Currently when I download flagged articles pan puts all the articles
> into a single task.  When did this change and why?  If one of the
> articles can't be downloaded, say because the article number does not
> exist, the entire task stops.  I definitely prefered the old behaviour
> of a seperate task for each article.

Since I never flag articles, just select and hit d/l, I can't say for sure on
the flagged task behavior.  However, the way PAN scheduled tasks did change
with the introduction of the gnet library, several versions ago.  There may
have been other more recent changes since I've noticed the problem you
mention a couple times only recently, but that may have been just
happenstance.  However, if you are talking about the gnet changes, overall,
the handling is far better now I think, since PAN puts all threads to work on
the latest task rather than having one d/l thread for each task.

Of course, the observed bug still exists, but IMO the bug is that PAN fails to
simply drop an unsuccessful retrieval and continue with the task, not in the
way it handles scheduling in the first place.  It should be more robust with
its handling of missing bodies and continue with the task rather than halting
it.  IMO, that's the real bug.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin