pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Bandwidth throttling recipe. [linux 2.4]

From: Nathan Morell
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Bandwidth throttling recipe. [linux 2.4]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:53:06 -0600

I found I was having a problem with memory until I added a whole bunch of swap. I'm running a 1ghz with 256megs of ram, and 1 gig of swap. It used to be 256megs of swap, and pan would freeze my system. Now, it works much better with all the extra swap.

> I have three computers which are on 24/7.  I typically run PAN through
> a VNC session started on the above-described machine, meaning that PAN
> is basically running for weeks at a time.  As a matter of fact, before
> I rebooted to install the QoS bits in the kernel, I probably hadn't
> shut down that copy of PAN for over a month.

Also, Its a known problem that pan has/can leak memory, it wouldn't hurt to shut it down once in a while.

--Nathan

Kelly, Mark wrote:
Well, this makes me feel a little better to see that someone else has the
same issues with memory comsumption that I have.  I knew I couldn't be the
only one.  I have a Dual 1 Ghz P3 box with 512MB and Pan will consume every
spare bit of that and a 100-200 megs of swap for several of the groups I
like to view.

Mark