pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Groups w/huge header count won't load?

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Groups w/huge header count won't load?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:20:45 -0500

On Jul 26, 2004, at 5:30 PM, Keith MacDonald wrote:

I've tried leaving the machine alone to process the headers for,
like, 8 hours at a time, and Pan never manages to parse them
properly.  If I close Pan and restart it, I'm prompted to resume
the last batch, at which point Pan proceeds to download all the
headers from scratch.

8 hours may not be long enough. For fun look at the OS processes with something like top and notice how much swapping is going on, and how much CPU time pan is really getting. Sometimes as little as 2% during swapfests on my 800 MHz Athlon running FreeBSD.

Many years ago I gave up on Linux *because* it behaved so badly under heavy loads. Seemed to be heavily tuned for low latency under light single user loads. Then a filesystem bug crept in and trashed my drives 3 times in one week. So I tried FreeBSD and haven't looked back. I *have* laughed at the plight of Linux users dealing with files over 2G and many other little things which a good OS should not have trouble with.

So, can anyone help out here?  Is this a known issue?  My problem
is probably related to this guy's :
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2004-05/msg00030.html
, however, the details of that thread don't exactly match-up with
my situation.

That's me. With 768M of RAM core and swap spread across three drives I've learned that 1.5M messages in a single group is about my limit before exponential unreasonable slowdowns occur due to swapping.

Have seen in the To-do or wishlist for pan the use of a database to maintain headers. Apparently its maintained in core now. Storing this data in a file-based database would be faster for really large groups but slower for small. No doubt it will make things more complicated.

The auto-load of groups preference thing I haven't figured out. Pan was unusable without it enabled because it would never list the group. If I haven't visited a large group in about 500k or million messages I've found the thing to do is once its already trying to download a million or so to select Download Options and start another restricted to 500k then go to the Task Manager and stop the 2nd from the top task which was the unlimited new header download. Gotta do this before swapping gets out of hand.

On that topic my ISP limits 2 simultaneous sessions. If I "stop" a running task in pan, usually the connection is not closed cleanly and continues to consume one of my connection quota counts. News server bitches about "too many connections" while pan thinks there is only 1. Eventually pan decides to carry only 1 connection. Each connection has an independent bandwidth throttle, as a result pan operates at half bandwidth until exit and restart.

The work-around for the above is to push to the bottom of the list any pan task I wish to stop. It completes the current chunk it has bitten off of the binary attachment. Then re-examines the queue for its next chunk and cleanly stops that task. Don't think this works for header download.

I believe many of my error messages from pan are/were due to memory problems. Its impossible to say as no matter what it passes all memory tests I can throw at it but for pan. With only Crucial 512MB and 256MB PC133 modules installed it seems to work best. Have ordered a new machine with ECC memory to put an end to this problem once and for all.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden