pan-users

[Pan-users] Dealing with huge numbers of messages in a newsgroup

From: Wilbur Pan
Subject: [Pan-users] Dealing with huge numbers of messages in a newsgroup
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:23:13 -0500

I'm using Pan and using Giganews as my news server. There are some groups with huge numbers of messages -- close to 1,500,000, in fact. I've determined that I can set up Pan to load the 450,000 newest messages without my computer locking up on me. However, I can't seem to get to the older messages.

I tried downloading 450,000 messages, then marking them read, then asking for another 450,000 messages, but the program seems to just lock up or reloads the first batch of messages.

I've got 512 MB of RAM, so it's a decent amount of memory, and my computer dual boots into Windows and Linux. I've tried running Pan in both Windows and Linux.

Any suggestions?