pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: What is "Score"

From: Lenny Nero
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: What is "Score"
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:38:39 +0100

Duncan  said:

> Travis posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
> on Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:53:43 -0700:
>
>> From: "Lenny Nero"
>>
>>> I have been running the same >900 MB db for all of this year, it runs
>>> 24/7 with 30+ big groups doing more than 2 gig a day. The only time I
>>> stop it is to dfrag the db or to try some new settings.
>>
>> What does this mean?  What data base.  How do you defrag a data base?
>
> Presumably the db that tracks what each group on each server has.
>
> Again, presumably, "defrag" refers to "compaction".  Traditionally, a
> database doesn't recover the space used by deleted records immediately.
> In the interest of efficiency, it simply marks that slot as vacant, not
> shrinking the database down to fill the hole, until compaction.  Then,
> it removes the holes all at once.
>
> In a very active database such as a newsgroup's active message list,
> with new messages being added and old ones expiring at roughly the same
> rate over time, each time a message expires that means a deletion, and
> thus a hole in the database, until compaction.  Thus, db compaction
> would need to be done fairly regularly (to prevent the db getting too
> bloated with unreclaimed deletion holes) as compared to, say, the
> database for a corporate address list, which would be far less active
> and for a fair amount of its life have fewer deletions than additions,
> and a *FAR* higher simple access rate, as opposed to record deletion or
> addition. The less active db would therefore need compaction far less
> often, to keep it working at the same efficiency.

The sqLite 'vacuum' command does as you say, but then you have a file
spread across the disk, so I use the contig.exe to defragment the file
contiguous ie. 'defragged'.

Contig is a single-file defragmenter that attempts to make files
contiguous on disk. Its perfect for quickly optimising files that are
continuously becoming fragmented, or that you want to ensure are in as few
fragments as possible.

>From http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Contig.html

L.
--
Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
http://www.readfreenews.com