pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.92 "I hope the demons pluck your eyes out and

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.92 "I hope the demons pluck your eyes out and use them for marbles!"
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:07:26 -0700

Lenroc posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Sat, 15
Apr 2006 02:15:47 -0700:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:21:28 -0700, Duncan wrote:
>
>> One of the questions I asked was with .9x releases coming pretty fast,
>> what happens after .99?  He said .100.  Just in case anyone besides me
>> was wondering.  =8^)
>
> We use a versioning scheme like this at work, and it confuses our
> customers.
>
> "22.8 must be newer than 22.79, right?"

=8^)

Not entirely unusual for FLOSS*, tho, as I'm sure you are aware.  Package
managers and distributions have all sorts of interesting challenges trying
to devise a distribution versioning scheme that works for everything, yet
still offers the flexibility necessary for distribution-specific
revisions. Even then, every once in awhile something comes along and
screws things up, and some arbitrary choices and special exceptions have
to be made.

You are absolutely correct, however.  Kids get decimals drilled into them
in school and just when they think they have it down, along comes
software, with its decimal defying versioning schemes! <g>

* Free/libre and open source software, as most on this list probably know
already.