pan-users

Re: Big XML files... (was Re: [Pan-users] Re: Better processing of very

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: Big XML files... (was Re: [Pan-users] Re: Better processing of very large groups?)
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 13:35:51 +1000

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 01:15:24 pm Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 12:56:36 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Also (and maybe because I'm a DBA), this problem just *screams* for
> > SQLite and a database in the "First Normal Form".
>
> Please no. SQLite has problems with NFS. It's not so much that SQLite
> won't work on NFS as that when (not if) something breaks, it's
> difficult to unbreak it.

Oops, forgot to include the link to the FAQ:

http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q5

"You should avoid putting SQLite database files on NFS if multiple
processes might try to access the file at the same time."

Or if one process might fall over (perhaps because the power goes out
and your desktop suddenly shutsdown) and you wish to start the process
again afterwards.

Since NFS is very common in the Linux universe, I vote No on SQLite for
this.

--
Steven D'Aprano