pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Bug squashed

From: K. Haley
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Bug squashed
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:15:42 -0700

On 1/21/2010 12:22 AM, SciFi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very sorry, other things keep getting in my way.  :(
>
> I will need to do the tests over again, the cache etc here got cleaned-out.
>
> When I upgrade stuff, I did have a "cheat sheet" to go thru each (sub)project
> in sequence, just like a pkg-mgr would do (since I cannot trust 'em to use my
> build env-vars properly y'know).
>

> Please remember I build everything old-fashionedly by my own hands.  ;)
>
> When installing a newer gmime build, some of the pointers etc will change,
> then some apps gripe about the lack of expected things etc, y'know.
>
> Sorry, I just do not know how this would work here.

I build gmime myself for use on windows.  This is what I have with both
installed:
bin/
  gmime-config  -- from 2.0, doesn't exist in 2.4
  uuencode , uudecode --from 2.4
  libgmime-2.0.dll
  libgmime-2.4.dll
include/
  gmime-2.0/
  gmime-2.4/
lib/
  gmimeConf.sh   -- from 2.0, doesn't exist with 2.4
  libgmime-2.0.dll.a
  libgmime-2.0.a
  libgmime-2.0.la
  libgmime-2.4.dll.a
  libgmime-2.4.a
  libgmime-2.4.la
  pkgconfig/
    gmime-2.0.pc
    gmime-2.4.pc
share/
  gtk-doc/
    html/
      gmime/
      gmime-2.4/

As you can see there are only two points of overlap with the uu
programs.  The reason for this is that 2.0 & 2.4 are not compatable, it
probably should have been called 3.0 to make that clear, so you really
need both versions installed.

> I wonder if I should wait for Mr.Kerr when he said, in late Sept'09, that he
> wanted to switch Pan to use new(er) APIs etc to get ready for GNOME-3?
> (Perhaps by that time OSX-10.6.x aka SnowLeopard would be better ready for
> more open-src projects I hope.)
>
> ??????

I don't know if it's finished but the changes he made have raised the
requirement to GTK+ 2.16 which uses GLib 2.18.