pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: New version of pan ?

From: Brad Rogers
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: New version of pan ?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:53:48 +0000

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:11:35 +0000
Maurice Batey <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello Maurice,

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 02:16:18 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> > nntp itself is slowly fading into history
> I wish I understood why!

Because, for the most part, people think the WWW *is* the internet.
Anything that can't be accessed via a browser is "Here be dragons"
territory;  Possibly dangerous, and probably frequented by
ne’er-do-wells.

> What is there out there that is more convenient than following
> newsgroups?

Email.  Possibly.

> Although I do follow the occasional user or interest Forum, it is
> nowhere near as convenient as following newsgroups via e.g. Pan.

Indeed.  With email and usenet, I fire up a program, hit the "receive"
button and I'm away.  I cannot fathom why people wish to move from web
site to website, logging in to forums, trawling through poorly threaded,
errr, threads, looking for stuff.

> (After trying Pan2, I'm still using Pan1!)

As am I.

--
 Regards  _
You're a sidewalk cipher speaking prionic jive