pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: New User Question

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: New User Question
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:40:50 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Sat, 29 Jan 2011 07:12:32 -0800 as excerpted:

> On 01/29/2011 12:26 AM, Duncan wrote:
>> Finally, note that simply because an article has a particular score
>> placing it in the ignored category does NOT mean pan automatically
>> marks it as read (or deletes it).
>
> There are, however, a number of us who wish it would.

Indeed there are!

Perhaps, just perhaps, with the PKovar/KHaley team that looks like it
might be forming to take over from CKerr, who has stated he's looking for
a pan project lead replacement after being inactive for some time, pan
development might once again move forward, after being pretty well stalled
for some years now.  Time will tell if they (or anyone else who has the
skills and could contribute) will bring any major new features to pan, as
this would certainly be, or just tweak around the edges and maintain
compatibility with current dependency and build chain versions, tho even
having someone reliably doing the latter is welcomed, but for the first
time in a number of years, it /does/ look like there's some hope, once
again, and this sorely missed feature, along with a few others, may yet
appear in a pan version coming your way (even if it might be awhile).

But I didn't want to try to explain all that too, possibly overwhelming a
newbie with details not at all particularly relevant to the filters he was
asking about, in an already long post, and a reference to the situation
without explaining it in some detail would have certainly only lead to
further confusion and either false promises or unwarranted pessimism if I
didn't sufficiently well explain the current situation, how it's still
uncertain, yet far better already than it was even a month ago, as 2010
turned into 2011.