pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] In the new file-upload logic, we n eed to change how Pan

From: Heinrich Mueller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] In the new file-upload logic, we n eed to change how Pan apparently slices the binary data …
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 12:36:12 +0200

On 07/04/11 21:12, SciFi wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 06:24:47 +0200, Heinrich Mueller wrote:

On 07/03/11 19:22, SciFi wrote:
The actual binary data needs to be split _before_ it is encoded
(before uuencoded, before yEncoded, before MIME'd, etc.)
or in the view of the end-user/downloader, _after_ decoding.
Well, normally the uploader does that by rar-ing and splitting the files
he wants to upload into several equally-sized chunks.
pan could do that, too, but as it doesn't handle the par2 creation
I think that would be counterproductive.
Furthermore,
This "article-size" split needs to match the PAR2 size (or a multiple)
chosen by the poster ahead of time (whether or not he knows it)
when he generates those recovery files.
Setting this inside e.g. Pan should be done again by the same poster.
With the way you are designing Pan to control this aspect,
by the "counting encoded lines" logic,
the poster CANNOT accurately control this value.
This mechanism needs to be changed, please.
We need to be able to match BY BYTE COUNT the article size at this level.
So we want the article-size split to be done on the current "part" file
BEFORE it is encoded, see.
Done. Test, please.
(btw the Subject lines are *not* to contain the actual '(number)' string
at the tail-end when posted,
these '(number)' strings are calculated by the end-user's app.
Else you'd get a doubled-up '(number)' at the end of Subject lines.<g>)
See here: http://www.yenc.org/yenc-draft.1.3.txt

-------

Multi-part archives should always be identified as such.  As with
single-part binaries, they should also be identified as yEncoded until
yEncoding becomes more mainstream.

The (strongly) recommended format for subject lines for multi-part binaries
is:

[Comment1] "filename" yEnc (partnum/numparts) [size] [Comment2]

--------

You could send me such samples you mentioned.

Cheers.