pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 64 bits fails as solution to large binary groups

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 64 bits fails as solution to large binary groups
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 22:15:24 -0500

On 10/09/2011 09:58 PM, Lacrocivious Acrophosist wrote:
Ron Johnson<address@hidden>  writes:

Having to upgrade to Ubuntu Maverick because Natty sucks, I decided to
also migrate to 64 bits now that Adobe has released a 64 bit Flash.

One of the first things that I did was try out Pan on a binary group.

Many hours later, it had fetched 6 weeks of headers and consumed 6.8GB
of RAM.  The 2+ years of data in Giganews would require 123GB of RAM.

:(

At risk of exposing myself as a Known Idiot... is this 64-bit performance
different from 32-bit performance, and can you 'prove' it? ;-)

What do you mean by "different performance"?

It's a fact that 32-bit Pan runs out of *process* address space at around 2GB. 64-bit Pan doesn't technically have that problem, but effectively it does, although it does for all practical intents.

As for the multi-bazillion-header binary groups... is there *any* 'old style'
newsreader capable of downloading all their headers? By 'old style' I mean
newsreaders intended to include conversation. Giganews, for one, would seem
to me to make this nearly impossible due to their vast retention span.

Any "straight to file" news reader could do it, given the time to d/l all the headers.

Pan's fatal binary group flaw is that it stores all the headers in memory before writing them out to disk.

--
Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification