pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.135 Win32 build update

From: Steve Davies
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.135 Win32 build update
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:20:39 +0100

On 20 October 2011 18:12, Petr Kovar <address@hidden> wrote:

> When we're at it: I was recently told that GPL, the license we use for
> Pan, requires us to reference or include all patches and instructions needed
> to build Pan. So if we release a binary version of Pan, regardless of
> platform, we should also put all the needed patches and instructions
> somewhere and reference them.
>
> Probably the easiest way here to meet the requirements is to simply commit
> the patch to the Pan repo, or patch the configure.in script after some
> #ifdef modifications.

Hi,

IMHO, What you've been told about the GPL requirements is not strictly
accurate - The GPL requires that any source code modifications are
"made available on request" so it is not necessary to make them part
of the core standard download. In fact, as I understand it, by posting
the patch in this public forum, that requirement is already largely
satisfied.

On the other hand, if someone knows how to #ifdef the patch attached
earlier in this thread so that it applies only to a Win32 build, then
it would be great to have it in the core code :) It is not necessary
to make Win32 work, it simply make the spell checker functionality
work with a particular set of spelling libraries that are available
for Win32.

Perhaps as a compromise, the patch can just be put into a
README.win32_spell.diff with a comment at the top of it explaining
what it is for?

Regards,
Steve