pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] message formatting

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] message formatting
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:32:30 +0000 (UTC)

Hendrik Boom posted on Fri, 28 Oct 2011 20:01:21 +0000 as excerpted:

> I sometimes have occasion to cut text from a shell window and paste it
> into a message.  It looks OK when i edit it, but after I post it and it
> gets back to me, the formatting is completely screwed up, with newlines
> appearing at random places, and the original newlines completely gone.
> Presumably someone thinks this is useful.
>
> Is there some way to prevent this?

Jim already hinted at this, but here it is a bit more explicitly.  If it
looks OK when you post it (using pan), that's how it's sent -- pan posts
as it displays.

However, on the receiving side, pan has two wrap modes, and you're
probably in auto-wrap mode, which might be just fine for flowed text but
doesn't work with pre-formatted content such as tables, ascii-art, etc,
because it re-flows them, too.

What you want is unwrapped (aka manually wrapped, as-is) mode.

The function that toggles between these modes is view, body pane, wrap
article body.  By default, the "w" hotkey is assigned to it, so as Jim
says, simply hitting "w" should toggle between the two wrap-modes when
viewing a message.