pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to fix "Unable to save ... Permission denied"?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to fix "Unable to save ... Permission denied"?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 04:17:25 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth posted on Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:58:17 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:42:59 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 01:00:33 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>>
>>> Those paths are almost certainly to be found in what is now
>>> /home/bttth/.pan2/servers.xml (but was previously btth...)
>>>
>>> That's an xml-based file, so be careful when editing it not to disturb
>>> the format, but you should be fine if you simply search and replace
>>> for btth, adding the extra "t" to make it bttth, and make no other
>>> changes.
>>
>>      That got most of it, thanks! I think I messed up my Giganews
>> userid; but Gmane seems to be working again, and that's the main thing.
>
>       Uurrrkkkk! I spoke too soon. Even from servers like news.grc.com
> and news.opera.no I get the miserable giganews whine. Should Pan really
> be going to those by way of giganews??

Here's the deal.  Pan uses standard newsrc style files for keeping track
of subscribed groups, messages already seen, etc.  All fine and good but
for one problem: the newsrc format assumes a single news server only!

Pan is of course multi-server, so it must use multiple newsrc files.  By
default these are named newsrc-1, newsrc-2, etc, based on the order you
setup the servers.

Meanwhile, pan stores its server information, including a mapping of
which newsrc file corresponds to which server along with the address for
each server, associated username and password if any, per-server article
expiration policy, server rank (normal or backup), etc, in servers.xml.

What apparently happened is that somehow, when you edited servers.xml to
change the path from btth to bttth, you changed some of the other
information in servers.xml as well.  Either that or the mapping of newsrc
files to server got screwed up, somehow -- maybe you created them in a
different order in the new location so newsrc-1 (for instance) is gmane's
newsrc file in the old location, but giganew's newsrc file in the new one.

There's two alternatives for fixing things.

1) Delete all newsrc files along with the servers.xml file, starting over
with a new server configuration.  In addition to having to reconfigure
each server with address, username, etc, you'll lose track of which
groups you had subscribed and which messages were read and which haven't
been, so you'll have to resubscribe your groups and download headers and
mark some messages read again, that you've already seen.

This involves some work, but since you delete the affected files and
reconfigure the data in them, the chance of screwing anything else up is
much smaller.

2) You can try to hand-edit servers.xml, possibly by copying over a
backup version, being more careful this time to edit /only/ the btth
string, changing it to bttth.

Depending on how you setup the new location, it's also possible that
you'll have to open the newsrc files and sort out which one belongs to
which server, editing the filenames in servers.xml to point to the
correct ones.

This is what I'd do here, but it has the possibility of further screwing
up pan if you get it wrong.  Given previous history, I'd recommend that
you stick with option 1 as it involves more work, but is the safer option
with less that can go wrong, since you're not hand editing files but
rather using the pan GUI to re-setup your servers, subscribed groups, etc.