pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Next Group and Next Unread Group

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Next Group and Next Unread Group
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 00:27:20 +0000 (UTC)

scdill posted on Sun, 03 Mar 2013 14:07:22 +0000 as excerpted:

> I am running pan compiled from a git.gnome.org/pan2 pull, performed last
> Friday (previously I was running a distribution release of .139). The
> compile and install went smoothly once I installed the dependencies.
>
> My only issue is when I try to go to the "Next Unread Group", either
> from the Go menu or by using the default "g" key binding, pan looks in
> the local folders rather than the subscribed folders. If I do a "<shift>
> g" to just go to the next group, pan again goes to the local folder.
>
> I am running Xubuntu 12.10 and was wondering if anyone else was
> experiencing this.

Yes.  The local folders for sent and draft messages are still a very new
feature and somewhat buggy.  One of the bugs is just as you described,
the menu/keyboard navigation to next-(unread-)group goes directly to and
gets "stuck" in the two "fake groups" under local folders.

This is just one of several bugs the new feature has had, with at least
two earlier bugs in the implementation already having been squashed.
There's still at least one more as well -- sent messages always register
as unread (visiting the sent "group" and reading messages can get it to
say they're all read, but the status isn't saved to file so they're
unread when you restart pan).  That's sort of nice in that there's a
convenient count of how many messages have been sent, but some of us
would prefer that it always register them read.

FWIW, it's easy enough to see where things went wrong with group
navigation -- before the local folders (with the two "fake groups" were
introduced, subscribed groups was the first set of groups, other groups
being the only other one, and navigating only thru the subscribed groups
(not going on to unsubscribed groups) was intended.  Only now, local
folders is the first set, and it's not going on to subscribed groups...

Should be reasonably easy to change the logic, but I'm not a coder, and
Heinrich (who is currently pan's primary coder and has introduced a slew
of new features including this one) evidently uses mouse navigation only,
so never noticed this bug.

And I don't think anyone else has mentioned it yet, the feature being so
new and people sort of waiting for it to stabilize a bit before
complaining, and mouse navigation working fine, after all, so this is
likely the first he's read of it.

Which for (hopefully) trivial to fix bugs such as this, often means it's
fixed within days to a week, sometimes even hours, depending on what time
Heinrich has available to him after dealing with "real life".  (Of course
it /could/ take longer, especially if nobody offers a patch and he has to
come up with one himself, given that it's all volunteer, meaning real
life /does/ come first.)  If you're good enough with code to work up a
patch, that helps even if Heinrich is too busy, because there's others
who can apply it too if Heinrich doesn't get to it after a reasonable
time.  But just reporting the bug helps too, especially since no one else
(including me) has that I'm aware of, and I can indeed confirm it. =:^)