pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] SSL connection

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] SSL connection
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 15:26:33 +0000 (UTC)

hiker posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 07:50:05 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hi
>
> Just upgraded from version 0.139 to beta 0.140.
>
> But now SSL connection to the news server on port 563 isn't working.
>
> Any help?

Try deleting the stored certificate and trying again.  There was a bug
causing certs to be stored incorrectly, that was fixed about that time
(I'm running git-pan so it's history for me).  So pan's probably seeing
the corrupt cert and now that it can check it properly, believes the
connection is being tampered with and won't connect.  Getting rid of the
old one allows the correct one to be stored and with luck you won't have
any further problems.

The other possibility is that the update was built without ssl/tls
support.  It's an option, and at one point there were license issues with
distributing the binary with that support builtin.  They've been resolved
now, but various distros may still have chosen to build without that
support.