pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Filtering

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Filtering
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 20:30:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 19:29:01 +0000, Dave wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:19:33 +0000, DLSauers wrote:
>
>> Hopefully maybe some one will work on the scoring features to improve
>> them for non regex speaking users.
>
> Back in the days when I used Windows, the GUI filtering for Foret Agent
> was OK but it was very much worthwhile learning at least the basics of
> regex to get the full benefit, especially if one had more complex
> requirements.

FWIW, I would agree with this assessment.  The regex requirements for
this are simpler than full JavaRE (for example), because we're not doing
replacements, which is where a lot of regex complexity comes in - so
grouping and forward/backwards references aren't needed.

But a switch to go between simple wildcard settings and full regex would
be nice.   Similarly, tools that would enable/disable regex flags
(another area that can get confusing for novices) would be good - so case
sensitivity can be enabled/disabled using a checkbox rather than having
to remember to prepend (?i) to the expression.

But the essentials of regex are useful:

"." = a single character (or nothing)
"*" = repeat the previous character any number of times
"[A-Z]" and other ranges = ranges of characters.
"^" = start of line
"$" = end of line

And of course "\" to escape special characters used in the above. :)

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson