pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Moving...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Moving...
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 08:14:42 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:47:00 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 06:45:32 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> The thing I was most frustrated with was beds.  They're expensive, and
>> I haven't found anything I really liked, either.
>
> Beds can be as cheap as you like.  If you're handy with tools, you can
> make one easily enough with scrap wood since once it's covered you can't
> see it (unless you want a fancy headboard!).  The mattress, on the other
> hand, can cost you an arm and a leg depending on what you need/want :-)
>
> Good luck with the move!

OK, back online now, and the speed of a wired cable connection sure beats
the ATT-supplied wifi they had at the hotel! =:^)

Wednesday they moved stuff to the house.  Turns out I had some camp
chairs from 20+ years ago in storage, that I had forgotten about, so I
have a couple chairs, and with the airbed, the only thing I needed was
something to put the computer and monitors on.

Today/Thursday I picked up a $60 dual 7-foot wireframe shelf stack with
dual clothes hanger rods at Walmart, and taped the cloths hanger rods to
the top and bottom of the 48-inch monitor -- they were /exactly/ the
right length.  Those then attached to the shelving units on either side,
and it looks designed for it.  The 42-inch monitor is on a 30-inch wire-
frame shelf stack I had pulled out of the trailer, sitting under the 48-
inch.  The short shelf then has the computer on it, with room for the
keyboard in front of the 42-inch monitor.  The small 21-inch is sitting
diagonally on one of the 7-foot shelf-stack shelves, to the left of the
big monitors.  The router, VOIP phone adaptor, power strip, and 5.1 audio
amp are on a couple shelves on the stack to the right.

I did have to go buy a 50-foot ethernet cable to run between the cable
modem in the front of the house (where the cable comes in) and the router
setup in the bedroom, too.  Just long enough. =:^)  I have one more 30-
inch shelf unit that I can setup as a bedstand, for now.

Tomorrow/Friday I'll do that, and go shopping again to stock up on some
food, get a shower curtain, etc.  That should get me settled enough to go
to work Sat/Sun/Mon, and I'm off Tuesday again, perhaps to go to the
hotel refurbishment place and get some tables and chairs, at least.

As for the bed, yes, I was about to rebuild the bed in the trailer when I
got the news the city was buying and I might be junking it, so I didn't.
I may well end up building something, indeed.  And mattresses are indeed
pricey.  Now that I have the airbed and don't have to really hurry, I'm
thinking about buying one online from Tuft&Needle (tn.com, they're
seriously advertising at least around here).  I wasn't too thrilled at
the price when I investigated them for the trailer, but now that it won't
end up being 1/2 the value of my home... Plus, talking to my folks, not
knowing I had actually checked into them, my Mom mentioned TN mattresses
did real good in Consumer Reports rankings recently.  That pretty well
changed my mind and I may _indeed_ get a TN mattress, as I've learned CR
ratings are definitely worth paying attention to!