pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Seeing contents of 'Sent' postings that were never poste

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Seeing contents of 'Sent' postings that were never posted
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 06:40:36 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice posted on Thu, 06 Dec 2018 12:28:28 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 06 Dec 2018 10:18:31 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Try quitting and restarting pan.  You should then see the cached icon
>> beside the sent messages and be able to display them.
>
> You mean the envelope icon?
>
> R.Clicked on that and selected Read Article, but nothing appeared to
> happen.

The disc icon (which should be in the action column as listed in prefs on
the headers tab, obviously you'll have to have that column displayed),
showing the message is stored locally.  By quitting and restarting pan,
any messages sent in the previous session should show up as cached (disc
icon), meaning they are locally available to read.

For normal groups, before the message is downloaded to cache, and before
it is /requested/ from the server, that column will be blank.  Clicking
the message will then request it from the server (arrow icon), and when
it's downloaded to cache, the disc icon will show up to say that it's
actually in local cache.  Normally, if you clicked the message, it'll
then automatically display.

Alternatively, if your connection is slow or for binary posts, you can
use the cache article option (on the article menu), and it'll simply
download to cache but not immediately display.  This is useful if you
want to pre-download a bunch of stuff to cache before actually reading
it, and the disc icon says whether it's local or not.

Of course with binaries and the default 10 MiB cache size, only a few
messages (assuming small binaries, say images, not big videos) will fit
in the 10 MiB, after which pan will start erasing the old ones, likely
still unread, as it downloads new ones.  I remember when I first started
using pan and was frustrated with it erasing messages I had just
downloaded, before I could read them!  Back then, IIRC pan had a max 1
GiB or some such cache size and I increased it to the max, which helped,
but it still often wasn't enough to handle a full session.  So I filed a
bug request and Charles upped the max size to 8 gig or some such
(remember, this was when entire discs weren't too much bigger than
that!), and for some time I had it set at 4 gig, which was enough for
me.  Later I believe the cache size cap was effectively removed entirely,
and I've used up to 12-gig cache size for binaries before, with a
dedicated cache partition, tho I don't do so much binaries these days so
don't actually use it much.

But back to the sent messages group... Because that is a fake group,
there's no server to click to download to local cache from, and because
that's the way pan updates its message status, without a server to
download from, it doesn't know the message is actually already locally
stored.  And because there's no actual servers involved, clicking on the
message to download it to cache does nothing.

So as I said, it only figures that out when pan is restarted, after which
(if the cache size is large enough that it hasn't rotated out already, or
if the cache size doesn't apply to sent messages, I wouldn't know because
I have a big enough one messages never get auto-rotated out) the message
should show up as locally cached -- that disc icon should display -- and
clicking on it should display the message as it would a normal message.

But of course you're in a new session now, and while all the messages
sent in the last session should show up with the disc icon, any that you
send this session won't, because pan doesn't know they're actually there
yet.