pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] haven't read your own sent messages?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] haven't read your own sent messages?
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 06:32:53 -0000 (UTC)

David Chmelik posted on Tue, 2 Aug 2022 11:16:58 -0000 (UTC) as excerpted:

> Apparently all posts I send to NNTP newsgroups become 'new'/'unread' in
> my own sent box but if I post I've already written/read/revised/reread
> enough hours of course I've already read!  Can't they only show up
> 'new'/'unread'
> in drafts until sent then save in sent box 'read?'  Does anyone else
> even really consider something oneself posted unread other than checking
> it got to actual newsgroup (but likely not reading until any reply)?

Caveat:  The following is from memory, but I believe it's still correct...

That's somewhat an artifact of how pan deals with sent messages -- it
effectively sees the sent folder as a (pseudo-)newsgroup, thereby not
having to code a whole set of special behavior for it.  But because of the
pseudoness, it can't quite process the same and everything in sent ends up
marked unread every time you restart pan, as pan has no permanent read-
message tracking (which IIRC normally occurs in the newsrc file, but
there's not real server for that pseudo-group, so no newsrc...) for that
"group".

Granted, pan /could/ just add a bit of logic to consider everything there
marked read by default, and I'd sort of prefer that myself, but once you
realize the what and why, it becomes easier to ignore and soon you don't
even "see" it any more.  Or at least that has been my experience.

BTW, there's another kink in the treatment as well.  Because there's no
actual server to download from, pan never updates the actual messages in
the sent pseudo-group while it's running.  So messages you've sent that
session either don't show up, or show up as uncached and unfetchable (IDR
which, just that you can't actually read them).  When pan restarts it
scans it again, and /then/ the messages sent /last/ session (and before,
at least as long as they're still cached, I've set my cache as multi-gig
for text messages so it's effectively permanent and I'm not sure if it
erases sent messages from the cache along with other old messages when the
cache gets full or not).