pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] PAN NNTP Post sits in "Local Folders==>Sent" without rea

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] PAN NNTP Post sits in "Local Folders==>Sent" without reaching Newsgroup
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 08:52:24 -0000 (UTC)

Veek M posted on Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:22:36 +0530 as excerpted:

> Trying to get pan working - added the NNTP server but when I "Post to
> Newsgroup" I get the pop up "Post Article"
> but the message that I type is sent to my "Local Folders==>Sent"
> where it sits forever without reaching the newsgroup.

What does the event log say?  You can reach the event log two ways, either
clicking on the icon at the bottom right in the status bar, or via the
file menu, event log entry.  After a posting attempt it should have the
status message the server sent back.

Also...

What server?  (Some are special purpose and work differently.)

Are you sure your account (if any) with it has posting privs?  (Some
servers default to download-only or restrict posting from users who have
copyright violations registered against them, for instance.)

Are you sure the group you're posting to isn't moderated/read-only?

Some servers block attempts to send posts with attachments to a non-binary
group (where they may define non-binary-group as any without binaries in
the name, regardless of whether it commonly has binaries in it or not);
you're not doing that?

Group name (if it's not too sensitive)?

Suggestion if you're not using it already:  Most servers have testing
groups available (test as part of the name).  It's traditional to try
posts to those groups first to work out any kinks before trying posts to
other groups.  I actually subscribe to some test groups long after I no
longer need to test, both to try to help if I can, and just out of
curiosity to see what sort of thing people are testing.

While there try both new posts and replies to existing posts.  Maybe one
works while the other doesn't?

And finally, worth checking as it has happened to me and others... Ensure
that under view menu, header pane, you don't have some combination of
settings you forgot about that's hiding your posts, so the posts are
getting to the group but you're just not seeing them due to pan's view
settings hiding them.