Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny on larger glow/gas aircraft

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny on larger glow/gas aircraft
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:44:29 GMT

Daniel,

You can power the servos however you want, just share the ground with everything.  The PWM signal is not related to the servo supply voltage.

The most common IR sensor mounting is to have them pointing at 45, 135, 225, 315 so the motor may not be within view of the sensors, especially if the sensors are somewhat inside the fuselage so no direct forward view is possible.

Oil buildup will certianly cause trouble and you may even have problems with hot exhaust.  It's important to note that you cannot cover the sensors with any commonly available material - only very special materials will allow LWIR to pass.  One possible configuration would be to mount the sensors near the top of the fuselage but somewhat inside and route the exhaust straight out the bottom of the fuselage.

-- Daniel Kauter <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried using paparazzi with gas or glow engined planes, and if so, was it a success? If not, could anyone speculate on whether it would?

My concerns with it relate to the IR sensors:

1. Would the hot exhaust (which contains oils and residues) significantly affect the angle measurements? There is likely to be hot exhaust behind, and to one side of the aircraft, and possibly even below. The best strategy I can see to mitigate this is to mount the x,y sensor high on the tail.

2. Would the hot engine at the front of the plane affect the angle measurements significantly? Hopefully the fuselage will shield most of the engine from the IR sensors fov, but probably not completely.

3. Would hot oil and exhaust damage the IR sensors? Being on the outside of the aircraft, I imagine it would be hard to ensure they are safe from this.

My only other concern is with regard to larger aircraft. Obviously the 5V supply won't be capable of supplying 5 or 6 large servos, so I am planning to supply them from a 6.0V NiCd. Does anyone know if the servos will have a problem detecting their 5V PWM signals from the Tiny when their supply voltage is higher?

Thanks in advance to those who respond. Your input may save me a lot of time pursueing something that might not work!

Also, thanks to everyone who has helped create paparazzi. My team and I enjoyed using it to build our MAV last year. I'm hoping we can continue using it this year with a larger aircraft for this:

http://www.uavoutbackchallenge.com.au/

Maybe paparazzi can get another title under its belt!

Cheers,

Dan