Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Suggestions on Which IMU to buy?

From: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Suggestions on Which IMU to buy?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 13:27:24 +0200

Dear Chao,
you can use the paparazzi IMU to.
In the in progress folder there is an new Version.
I can send you the Eagle files for a mens biased  imu  wiht sparkfun modules.
(3x ADX300, LIS accelerator, micromag3, 24bit pressure sensor)
http://www.isms.hs-bremen.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=elem:projekte:projekt15:intro

One of the best to by is the system from analog devices (about 350$).

We are working on a hardware for Quadrococopter with a imu to:
https://www.akaflieg.hs-bremen.de/trac/akaflieg/browser/gpl-qc/trunk/airbone/hw/autopilot
This hardware is compatible with the paprazzi Quadrocopter. After the work is finished we
will upload the files in the paparazzi repository.
Regards
Heinirch Warmers

Haiyang Chao schrieb:

Hi, guys.
We are planning to buy a commercial IMU to integrate to paparazzi autopilot. We already have one IMU: MNAV from Crossbow, which is under testing and coding. But we may need another one.

After some searches by my collegue, we found out that the closest one may be o-navi Phoenix-nx unit since they are about $1000 . But they do not have magonometer sensor to measure the angles.
---------- o-navi ----------------
3-axis gyro for angular rate
3-axis acceleration
absolute and relative pressure sensor
GPS
I know Kestrel autopilot from Procerus has 2/3-axis magemeter. So does MNAV from Crossbow. But they stopped producing them for some reason.
3-axis magnemeter
3-axis gyro for angular rate
3-axis acceleration
absolute and relative pressure sensor
U-blox GPS
Do u guys have any recommendations about similar IMU? Maybe less than $2000 and similar sensor sets.
One last question is : is the magetometer/compass or these kind of angle measurement sensors necessary for UAV control? Maybe integrate gyro sensor to get angle??? Any UAV group does not use magetometer or compass?

Thanks.
Haiyang