[Paparazzi-devel] Boot CD Howto - updated for XMAS 2008 version

From: Martin P
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Boot CD Howto - updated for XMAS 2008 version
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:54:02 +0100

Hi, everybody!

It was time that I updated my Howto.
However, the XMAS 2008 version was not love on first sight.

So I left the previous version intact. Partially because I like Knoppix very
much, and partially because some people like my famous statement on the
"knoppix nopcmcia" option very much ;-)

First I tried the CD on my (old but only one) desktop computer. I couldn't go
beyond a screen resolution of 800x600 which is not enough. Previously, when I
installed Ubuntu on this machine, I was offered a driver which I installed and
then it worked.

Next I tried the CD on my wife's laptop and had 1280x800 out of the box.

I was eager to see Google maps on the GCS, but how to connect to the internet?
When I used ADSL, I had to use pptp (not pppoe). Now I use a mobile modem and
use to dial in with gnome-ppp or kppp. Knoppix has them both, Ubuntu doesn't
have them.

With a little fiddling around I managed to start the internet connection with
pppconfig and pon. The modem wasn't detected, but I knew how to find out with
dmesg.

Furthermore, Knoppix has Open Office and other things which may come in handy.

What I do not yet know is, how to save a flightplan, i.e. how to make a device
writable. Okay, it will probably work on the command line with remount.

Well, I am using the live CD right now. I am connected to the internet, as you
will have guessed. And I have seen my favorite airfield in the simulator.
The Howto is here: http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Using_the_Boot_CD

Greetings, Martin

--
http://home.pages.at/martinpi