Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket

From: Jake Stewart
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:22:42 -0500

Chris can you clarify that a bit?  Is PPZ now on some sort of arms control list?

I also don't see how open source software could be subject to any export
restrictions.

In my field there are tons of regulations imposed by every clueless politician
who thinks his job is to pass as much unintelligable and unenforcable garbage
as his print quota will allow.  I've never actually heard of any of it being
followed.  In the biosciences everyone has their own Institutional Review Board
to worry about, and government organizations like the USDA don't themselves
follow most of the laws politicians saddle them with, mostly because you'd need
a team of lawyers to actually figure them out.

IME most of the time you would want to get a permit is when your own IRB thinks
it's dangerous enough that you need to cover your own ass by getting one of the
handful of permits that might apply.

That's to say that as the expert on the technology you're really the only one
qualified to determine what laws are applicable.

Maybe things are different with military issues involved, but if it's not on
the list then the laws don't apply right?  Wouldn't they need a reason to add
it to the list before anyone on either end should worry about such things?

-Jake