[Paparazzi-devel] Long Range Flying Wing

From: Reto Büttner
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Long Range Flying Wing
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:30:59 +0200

Hi guys

Last Saturday we achieved a nice long range flight over 125 km with a small UAV:

Flying Wing, 140cm wingspan, 2kg, 75 km/h, 2h endurance. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKf566KVfMo

We flew with our old and proven IR sensors, as we were not satisfied
with the ArduIMU. The experience is that over land everything work
fine, but along the shoreline (and fully over water) the control
characteristics degrade. Has someone made similar experience with the
IR sensors? Our next try will be the IMU SparkFun SEN-10121.

The data link using Maxstream 9XTend was mediocre. We had mostly
pretty good downlink (position, PFD, voltage, etc.). But the uplink
(repositioning of waypoints, new flight task, etc.) didn't work. With
the XBee we never had this issue. Has some made similar experience
with the 9XTend and knows how to fix this issue?

Cheers, Reto