Re: [Paparazzi-devel] geolocation of photos taken

From: Stephen Dwyer
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] geolocation of photos taken
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:22:20 -0700

Hello,

We also address this problem in a similar manner to TUDelft option #2. Our setup is as follows:
This method is decent but still not ideal. If you can trigger your camera using the modules, it probably simplifies things. I know a number of people have had success with CHDK if you have a Canon. The key part is to have the datalogger onboard with will eliminate any dropped packets for the DC_SHOT messages. Very useful. In addition, the software probably needs good bundle adjustment to handle to the errors in all measurements, not the least of which is due to the time delays everywhere. Most have this I think. Extracting DC_SHOT messages from the logs is generally very easy, and reformatting into say xml or similar is also easy.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
-Stephen Dwyer