Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Newbee question Apogee or KroozSD

From: Gerard Toonstra
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Newbee question Apogee or KroozSD
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:29:53 -0300

I've just done some research on multirotors for a long endurance project. The two most important choices you need to make:

1 Do you want to lift heavy weight (DSLR camera, > 1000g ), lift medium weight (point&shoot, 200-1000g) or lift very little weight (0-200g)?
2 Do you want agility and forward speed or fly a long time?

The first determines if you should go for an octo, hexa or quad. The second determines what your choice for props, motors, battery
and frame looks like. Obviously, lifting heavy weight means you reduce the total flight time, but there are some who lift 8-10kg for a
short time. Obviously this also has consequences for frame strength and weight.

On the other side of the spectrum you have quads that can stay in the air for 95 minutes, but get into an unsafe area regarding
torque and available throttle for extreme manoeuvers both due to motor overheating or overloading the battery. So they're docile flyers
and if not used correctly could set it on fire.

Then you have the entire area inbetween where a good idea about payload will guarantee the best fit. These are some basic requirements:
1. payload  (and how flexible it must be for future configurations).
2. endurance requirement (required time in the air).
3. agility and forward speed requirement (how fast it responds, how fast you can ascend and how fast you can go forward).
4. available budget

which give you a useful start for selection. Some of these are mutually exclusive, so compromises always have to be made.

Feel free to message me personally for more questions.

Rgds,

Gerard