I'm testing, configuring some new UmarimLite boards and am noticing the
PFD in GCS is much faster response (apparently). Was something
improved? My version: v5.1_devel-237-ge216c61-dirty
For those assembling Umarim boards the ITG3200 is quite easily damaged
and not easily soldered completely. I often use a very fine tip
soldering iron under a microscope and make sure all the pads are well
soldered around the sensor.
For testing it I do a very simple, but effective, test of viewing the
raw sensor outputs in GCS/messages. Here's the ITG at rest and in
motion (images attached). Rest won't be a perfect 0,0,0 always. If you
watch as you do each axis you can see larger values on each axis as you
go one direction and the opposite on the axis the sign will change.
FWIW: I do this on every Umarim, and let it burn-in sitting for
10-30min to verify no magic smoke etc. Also, this is all done with
current limited power supply (at 13.1v)where I can watch the current
draw as well. A freshly assembled UmarimLite will draw .01A on first
power up to load the boot loader (make upload_bl). Any more ( > .03)
and likely you have a short somewhere. Then after it should draw approx
.03A when powered to load the code via USB and during normal operation.
This is with nothing connected except an FTDI Utility board connected
to UART1 for transparent telemetry to the GCS.
I have found the ITG3200 once properly soldered is quite reliable. That
said I have in the past sent out for Umarim assemblies and all had
failed ITG3200. NOTE: I replaced every one of the ITG3200 and did the
above test before shipping. Just as an example apparently companies
claiming to be professionals can completely kill that sensor. I myself
have had a 100% success rate assembling them and only trust myself now
to assemble boards. If you do self-assembly on Umarim and NavGoV3 just
take care and if you can under a microscope make sure all pads are well
soldered and you have not damaged any pads during assembly.