Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ardrone2_raw starts but doesn't fly

From: Freek van Tienen
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ardrone2_raw starts but doesn't fly
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 10:59:17 +0200

2013/10/7 Ben Laurie <address@hidden>
On 7 October 2013 10:23, Christophe De Wagter <address@hidden> wrote:
> You "bricked" your flight-recorder?

Well, maybe - but I didn't actually do anything to it between working
and not-working. :-)

Does the ardrone reset it, do you think?

Yes the ardrone original software does reset and also configure it.

> If you can not manually configure the "ublox6***" in ucenter, then the AP
> module will not be able to do it either.

It wasn't clear to me how to manually configure it to do UBX in
ucenter, tho the fact other functions didn't work made me suspect I
wasn't going to be able to even if I knew how - do you know how?

> In some cases, the baudrate of usb devices is not important but in many
> cases it still is. (e.g. usb->serial converters like the prolific chip in
> the flightrecorder)

Ah, sure.

> Even if the position fix is way to slow, there is no reason to fall out of
> the sky. It might be unstable and constantly move left/right but if it falls
> out of the sky you probably should reduce the max-bank angle to start with.

I'll give that a try. What setting(s) would I change to make it
generally fly less aggressively?

MAX_BANK inside the GUIDANCE_H of your airframe file. Start with that.

> And if after take-off it moves laterally instantly, then make sure your
> accelerometer neutrals are calibrated correctly.

It doesn't - it hovers for a short while, then heads off. But I guess
I should calibrate everything, too!

Oh, I forgot to mention another issue - because the ardrone upload
includes the kernel driver for u-blox, you have to plug in the GPS
_after_ the upload, or it isn't recognised.

Yes that's right, we haven't fixed that yet because we use a ttyUSB cable instead of direct ttyACM which is available at some uBlox GPS'.

BTW. Do you have the logs of the flight? Because I'm really curious about what happened.