paperclips-discuss

[Paperclips-discuss] JSP Engine, GPL licensed

From: Erwin Bolwidt
Subject: [Paperclips-discuss] JSP Engine, GPL licensed
Date: 23 Apr 2002 23:36:56 +0200

Hi,

I saw Nic's message about GNU JSP being officially included in
Paperclips. That's nice, it's a reliable piece of software that has been
around for some time.

If you want to start hacking to get it up to JSP version 1.1 or 1.2, you
may want to consider this:

I've been working on a JSP compiler for the past few months. It's based
on KopiSusu - my Kopi-derived java compiler. I say a compiler, since it
parses and compiles JSP pages directly to .class files, without writing
any generated temporary java source code. This improves speed, error
reporting, and hopefully also reliability.

Since paperclips is a cool servlet engine that also happens to be GPL, I
thought it would make sense to make this JSP engine work with paperclips
when the engine is first released.

This release is some time off still, I think about two weeks off for an
alpha release that I dare to have other people look at. That will be a
JSP 1.1 compliant implementation.

But it looks promising already; all the basic stuff is there (all the
JSP syntax, taglibs, etc.) but wrapping the compiler in a servlet,
recompiling exactly when the jsp file or one of its included parts
changes, reading web.xml for taglib uri aliases, must still be done.

If there is any interest, I'll keep this list posted when this thing is
ready for alpha.

Erwin