Possible bug -- how to trace the dead-lock?

From: Maciej Pilichowski
Subject: Possible bug -- how to trace the dead-lock?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:01:16 +0100

Hello,

  My case -- one local machine (2 cores), and one remote (4 cores).

By "job" here I am mean launching parallel to process N files. My single processing looks like this

echo -n ${HOST} Processing file $filename
# here processing is one per one file
echo done

So my statistics is this -- every 5th job ends up with a dead-lock. I see echo for the last file with "done" message, but the work of entire job is not done, because I don't see bash prompt. And when I check what is going on, I only find, that some file from the middle of the list is not processed.

So how to trace the problem. For me it is parallel issue, because each processing is independent of each other, and I ran those jobs in a sequence (w/o parallel) for several years, and didn't have _once_ such problem.

Also note, that I had no such problem _once_ when running parallel only locally. The problem shows up only when run in distributed manner.

Kind regards,