Re: GNU/Parallel in OBS

From: Matt Oates (Home)
Subject: Re: GNU/Parallel in OBS
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:00:33 +0000

On 3 March 2011 18:42, R. Tyler Croy <tyler@monkeypox.org> wrote:
> I am an openSUSE user and I've gone ahead and installed parallel from the
> home:tange project, will this be kept up to date with releases?

I'm not sure about openSUSE but Ubuntu lags behind the fresh release
by quite some way. Development is a lot more active than any distro
will be keeping up with. For instance named config files are quite a
useful recent feature that isn't in the latest Ubuntu. I'm using the
checkinstall command to install each release of parallel under package
management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CheckInstall

If you're not familiar with checkinstall it will make you an RPM from
the parallel source, you just use checkinstall where you would do
"make install".

Best,
Matt Oates