Re: Patch: rearrange a long line in sql's documentation

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Patch: rearrange a long line in sql's documentation
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:03:15 +0100

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Hans Schou <chlor@schou.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, George Zarkadas wrote:
>
>> This is minor really, but since it had showed up during the lintian scan
>> (see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=518696 for
>> reference) I will report it:
>>
>> The DBURL syntax line in sql documentation is longer than man would be
>> happy with.
>
> I tried the below format out. Mayby both formats could be used.
>
>  [sql:]

[... loads of newlines...]

I am not too fond of any of the solutions. Hans' inserts a space for
every newline in the HTML version and George's introduces a new
concept simply to avoid a long line.

I prefer:

[sql:]vendor://
[[user][:password]@][host][:port]/[database][?sqlquery]

hoping that people reading the HTML version will know the space after
:// is wrong.

George: How many chars do we need to shave off? Would either of these work:

[sql:]vendor://[[user][:password]@][host][:port]/[database][?query]

[sql:]vendor://[[user][:passwd]@][host][:port]/[database][?query]