Re: Processing files from a tar archive in parallel

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: Processing files from a tar archive in parallel
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:20:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Jay Hacker wrote:

I have a large gzipped tar archive containing many small files; just untarring it takes a lot of time and space. I'd like to be able to process each file in the archive, ideally without untarring the whole thing first, and I'd like to process several files in parallel. Is there a recipe for this with GNU Parallel?

tar xvf big-file.tar.gz | parallel echo "Proc this file {}"

Parallel will start when the first file is untared.

/hans
--
Horsebakken 78, DK-2400 København NV