issues with --load

From: Thomas Sattler
Subject: issues with --load
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:52:42 +0100

Hi again ...

The idea behind "--load" is great, but I think it's not working that
good. I'd vote for a mechanism of delayed job-starts when "--load"
is in use:

I tried running lrzip in parallel. It's a multithreaded compressor
written by Con Kolivas, optimized for large files. I used "--load"
to make sure it will not overload my system, but it still did.

I used a machine with 32 cores and it started 32 jobs, and the load
went up to >90 for the first round of files to be compressed. No new
jobs were started until load dropped below 32, but it's still not
what a user might have expected.

I know this is tricky as a job might start its helper threads at any
time, but maybe parallel should start less jobs at the beginning and
have a look at the resulting load for a while.

Thomas