Re: BUG: swap_activity broken in v20120322

From: Thomas Sattler
Subject: Re: BUG: swap_activity broken in v20120322
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:46:24 +0200

>> This was the fourth reply with the output of 'vm_stat',
>
> (Were any of those replies on-list?)

No, only yours came via the list.

>> P.S.: Why do we use 'awk' within 'perl'?
>
> Because it runs on the remote machine, and `awk` has less
> overhead than `perl`.  (Though since it's waiting for at
> least 1 second to gather stats, it may not be a
> significant overhead.)

Perl is not my prefered language so I might be wrong with the
following, but I thought that sub "swap_activity" used 'qx'
to execute "$swap_activity" on the local machine.

Reading the code again I see something I ignored last time:
'qx' spawns a background process to get (and save!) these
information. At first I thought it would read them back
into 'parallel'.

Thomas