Re: CTRL-C does not kill remote jobs

From: Ben Booth
Subject: Re: CTRL-C does not kill remote jobs
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:40:47 -0700

On Mar 14, 2013, at 9:21 AM, Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:

>  * STDIN to the process is now treated as a terminal. So --pipe with
> binary data will
> be quite unpredictable: E.g. ^C (ascii: 3) will send CTRL-C.
>  * You get 'Connection to server closed' - unless you use -o LogLevel=quiet
>  * On STDOUT "\n" (ascii 10) becomes "\r\n" (ascii 13 10), so binary
> output on STDOUT will be messed up.
>  * --basefile, --transfer, --return will transfer text and not binary.

I may have found a somewhat convoluted solution to this problem:

> your_preprocessing |
>   uuencode a | ssh -tt -oLogLevel=quiet server "stty isig -echoctl -echo ;
> uudecode -o - |
> your_command |
>   uuencode a" | uudecode -o - |
> your_postprocessing

I found this solution here:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/40023/get-ssh-to-forward-signals

You could probably tweak the above command to use the parallel script to handle
the encoding/decoding instead of uuencode/uudecode, since it's required to have
parallel installed locally and remotely. I'm not sure how difficult this would
be to implement, however.